BENEFITS OF JOINING SHAI
- Joining SHAI means that members of the public can have confidence in the professional services you provide.
- It informs potential clients that you are properly trained.
- Joining SHAI also means the association is a place to meet other skilled professionals through the Members’ Area.
- SHAI’s annual meetings, social gatherings and AGMs are an excellent opportunity for networking and making new friends.
- Being a member of SHAI shows you are committed to maintaining high standards in your Sound Healing practice and to the high standards of self-regulation which exists in the Sound Healing community in Ireland.
- Practitioners who are members can refer clients to each other with confidence.
- Membership provides protection to its members e.g. any member found not to be adhering to SHAI’s Code of Ethics may be removed from the organization.
- Your practice will be added to our online Members’ Directory.
- You may use the SHAI logo on your website and stationary (not permissable for Student Members).
- Discounts are available from several reputable sound healing equipment stockists.
- Special discounted Group Insurance Scheme are available for both member Students and Practitioners.
- Membership card issued annually.
- Membership lapel badge (Replacement badge available for €15).
- Invitation to members only events.
- Invitation to volunteer at the SHAI stand at mind body events.
- Discount at Ghandarva Loka – World Music Store Dublin (on presentation of membership card).
Membership is from January – December, renewals are due on 1st January each year. Fees are as follows:
- Student Practitioner: €29
- Practitioner: €59
- Renewal: €49
New Practitioner Pro-rata:
- Dec to March €59 (1 month free)
- April to July €45
- August to November €29
We accept payment by the following methods:
- Direct bank deposit
- Paypal (5% surcharge)
- Bank Cheque
PRACTITIONER INSURANCE DISCOUNT
We have negotated a very good discount for our members through Balens Insurance of up to 50% off standard insurance premiums.
See more information on the Balens SHAI application form which you must use to obtain the discount: [Download Balens SHAI Form]
MEMBERS ARE REQUIRED TO ADHERE TO SHAI’S CODE OF ETHICS & PRACTICE
CODE OF ETHICS
A code of ethics is a code that governs the professional conduct of any member of an Association. It is set down by the professional association for their members.
SHAI Code of Ethics and Practice
This code of Ethics and Practice is designed to encourage integrity and responsibility. All members must abide by and uphold this Code of Ethics and Practice.
Therapists Must Always
- Be respectful and courteous to each other.
- Keep confidential all that is experienced and shared in their therapy sessions.
- Take responsibility for the relationship they have with their client and fellow practitioners and professionals and ensure that the trust placed in them is upheld.
- Recognize their own limitations and seek help from those with greater skills and experience where required.
- Maintain suitable working conditions and ensure that the environment is safe and meets regulations where required.
- Ascertain, whenever necessary, that clients have sought medical advice where appropriate and advising, where appropriate, that they do so.
- Hold professional indemnity/therapy insurance
Therapists Must Never
- Use titles or descriptions for themselves or their treatment that may mislead the public – either as a student and/or as a professional Practitioner.
- Give or offer any other form of treatment or therapy than that which is stated or agreed with the client in advance.
- Falsify documents or client notes.
- Abuse or exploit anybody sexually, emotionally or in any other way whatsoever.
- Discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, religion, political persuasion, age or disability
- Before giving treatments, students and Practitioners must always explain to a client on their first visit how they will give the treatment, how it is generally experienced and what the client may expect.
- Never guarantee, promise, claim, imply a cure or diagnose.
While Giving Treatments Therapists Must Always
- Behave with decorum, propriety and common decency.
- Respect the client’s wishes at all times.
- Respect the views and beliefs of the client.
- Have an additional adult present when giving a treatment to a child under 16 years of age.
- Never give a medical diagnosis to a client as a student or as a professional Practitioner.
- Never advise or recommend that a client undergo a particular form of treatment (e.g. an operation or course of drugs) or interfere with the medical advice or treatment which the patient is receiving.
- Always follow instructions in a referral letter from a doctor or medical professional.
- Never have a third party present without the client’s specific consent.
CONTINUAL PROFESSIONAL/PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD)
A good Sound Healing Therapist will always be growing and learning. As a member of SHAI you undertake to make a commitment to CPD. This learning and spiritual growth may be gained through further experience and education in the field of Sound Healing or any holistic/medical/scientific/musical training that supports your skills as a Sound Healing Therapist.
Suggestions for your CPD
- Staying up to date: It is vital to keep up to date with current developments. Training is one way of doing this, as is regular practice.
- Planning: It is important for the Practitioner to plan their own professional development – this can be done formally through training and informally through activities they arrange themselves.
- Keeping A Professional Portfolio: Keeping a record of all professional/personal development activities. It is a record/journal of what you do that contributes to remaining up to date with developments in your field, and includes both formal and informal learning.
- Client Care & Professionalism: It will lead to the Practitioner being more educated and skilled and thus allows them to provide an improved service.
- Professional Conduct: Professionalism means providing a service that clients’ are willing to put their trust in.